This weekend went really well. My mom had been visiting for the week so she and I and my friend from down the street cooked out on Friday. I'm really enjoying my little gas grill. We had ribs, hamburgers, and bratwursts this time around. I want to thank Anne from Kitchen Bliss for the tips on making ribs. She has a post about a rub and how to cook them starting in the oven first. They turned out really tasty.
I also baked brownies from a subtle hint from my friend. This time I made the Bittersweet recipe from Alice Medrich. It calls for using an ice bath to cool the brownies. They were delicious. I think I liked them better than the other four I made last month. Very rich and gooey. I used 85% dark chocolate and they were awesome, if I do say so myself. And to top them off I made home made ice cream. I used skim milk and Half and Half which works pretty well. It gets a little icy, and stays in soft serve form but still tastes good and with less fat, so I'll take it. We used a little almond extract in it too. I love my almond extract... (in the picture above, I topped off the ice cream and brownie with homemade hot fudge, another Alice recipe)
My mom had told me a friend of hers had put in a request for peanut butter cookies. The request was not so much for me to make but I made them anyway. I used the School Cafeteria Peanut Butter cookie recipe on Allrecipes.com. I scaled down the recipe to 30 cookies and weighed the measurements on my scale. I had made these before to good reviews so I tried them again. I remember loving the cookies we got at school usually on Friday's along with our pizza. And these do closely resemble my memory, but I've come to the realization that most things never taste as good as we remember them. I felt like I wanted more peanut butter taste. So, after making 32 cookies and still having batter left over, I decided to make a bar cookie with the rest and layer with a peanut butter filling that I found on Cookie Madness and then topped them off with the recipe for peanut butter cups that I've seen on various sites which combine the chocolate and peanut butter together. They were quite messy to lift out of the pan but again tasted really good, and I got the pb flavor I was looking for and the chocolate just added even more decadence to them. I've brought some in to work to share. I shouldn't keep all of these goodies around my house. I will eat them.


I also baked brownies from a subtle hint from my friend. This time I made the Bittersweet recipe from Alice Medrich. It calls for using an ice bath to cool the brownies. They were delicious. I think I liked them better than the other four I made last month. Very rich and gooey. I used 85% dark chocolate and they were awesome, if I do say so myself. And to top them off I made home made ice cream. I used skim milk and Half and Half which works pretty well. It gets a little icy, and stays in soft serve form but still tastes good and with less fat, so I'll take it. We used a little almond extract in it too. I love my almond extract... (in the picture above, I topped off the ice cream and brownie with homemade hot fudge, another Alice recipe)
My mom had told me a friend of hers had put in a request for peanut butter cookies. The request was not so much for me to make but I made them anyway. I used the School Cafeteria Peanut Butter cookie recipe on Allrecipes.com. I scaled down the recipe to 30 cookies and weighed the measurements on my scale. I had made these before to good reviews so I tried them again. I remember loving the cookies we got at school usually on Friday's along with our pizza. And these do closely resemble my memory, but I've come to the realization that most things never taste as good as we remember them. I felt like I wanted more peanut butter taste. So, after making 32 cookies and still having batter left over, I decided to make a bar cookie with the rest and layer with a peanut butter filling that I found on Cookie Madness and then topped them off with the recipe for peanut butter cups that I've seen on various sites which combine the chocolate and peanut butter together. They were quite messy to lift out of the pan but again tasted really good, and I got the pb flavor I was looking for and the chocolate just added even more decadence to them. I've brought some in to work to share. I shouldn't keep all of these goodies around my house. I will eat them.
No comments:
Post a Comment