Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Chocolate overload






I should have posted sooner about the chocolate party I went to last week, but I just hadn't gotten around to it before now. However, it was a lot of fun and I learned some things about using chocolate molds. The party was at a store called Farris and Fosters http://www.farrisandfosters.com/. They sell chocolates by weight but they also host chocolate parties where you get to participate in creating your own chocolate candies. I had done it once before a few years back but didn't get very creative that time and I wanted to do something different this time. I worked with the molds that I didn't attempt before. I had a bit of a heavy hand when filling so I kept overflowing, so my butterflys had some extra edges to them. I made some flat butterflies to be used in decorating future baked goods, but I also filled some other molds with goodies ranging from reeses pieces, to oreos, to rice krispies. They have quite of a selection to choose from. I also made peanut butter cups and completely covered an Oreo with chocolate. Your session gets you a pound of chocolate and if you go over that amount, you get it at a discounted rate.

As far as baking over the weekend...I made two things. I made Dori's Gooey Chocolate Cakes and zucchini bread. My experience for the cakes was much like others who made them for TWD in that my middle wasn't exactly oozing with 13 minutes of bake time. They did still tast fabulous though. If/ when I make again, I will shorten the bake time. I have a little disclaimer that I was on the phone the whole time I was preparing the batter, so I'm just glad they turned out at all.:-)

The zucchini bread was good also. I took the recipe from Allrecipes.com. I did substitute apple sauce for the oil and it still turned out well. Here is the link to the recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx I felt like I had to counter balance the fat in the cakes by leaving it out of the bread. That works right?

No comments: