Well, this weekend I kept up my momentum of baking but thought I was keeping it pretty safe with my choices. That didn't turn out to be the case. I had some cinnamon chips that I wanted to try in a cookie, but wasn't sure which to try. I decided to try the recipe on the bag which was an oatmeal cookie. The cinnamon chips are insane with cinnamon flavor. It's really impressive when first trying them. The cookies turned out pretty well, but the recipe didn't call for any salt and I think in the end it could have used a touch. So, I'll probably do some more searching for another attempt at using these morsels. I know there are some mentions on other blogs about them so I'll have to look out for other ideas.
I attempted macaroons using a recipe from the book I got the genoise recipe from. Again, I didn't have so much luck. I have to figure out this whipping egg whites thing. I second guess it all, like it that a stiff peak, maybe I should beat it a little more but I don't want to beat it too much. So, I'll keep working on that skill. However, the cookie dough was not thick enough but I pressed on and baked them anyway. They ran but I was able to salvage a few for consumption and they still tasted pretty good. Maybe I need to use a different book. I'm 0 for 2 from this one. But then again, it's probably me...more so than the recipes.
I also made shortbread for the first time. I used a recipe from My Sweetest Dreams blog. Around the holidays last year I was out with my mom shopping in the small town she lives in and I grew up in. There aren't many stores to go to but we make our usual rounds. This day we checked out a little thrift store that had some really cool things in it. We found this piece of stoneware that had pretty flower designs in it. I wasn't sure what it was used for but liked it and it was like $2 so we got it. I discovered that it was a shortbread pan. Now, six months later I decided to finally try using it. The recipe was great and they tast awesome. I did have a little trouble getting the cookie loose and away from the pan in one piece, so I'll have to be more careful next time.
All in all I was satisfied with my endeavors this weekend. I also tried my hand at grilling with a little gas grill that I got over a year ago. I bought it as a hurricane supply but we've been lucky since the 2004 ones when I didn't have a grill. So, I finally put it together and cooked up some chicken, shrimp, and burgers. Then last night my neighbor friend had me down for steaks which we cooked on the grill also. They turned out really good.
The weekend didn't go without it's hiccups though. I had an incident Saturday morning. I still don't know how I accomplished this mess, but it was a good one. I some how managed to splatter a half a cup of coffee all over myself, the floor, the refrigerator, wall and cabinets in a 360 degree manner. I didn't know so little liquid could make such a mess. Good thing I had planned on cleaning the floors that morning anyway. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment