Another month has past and another challenge to be had. This month was brought to us by Dolores (http://culinarycuriosity.blogspot.com/) with Co-hosts Alex (Brownie of the Blondie and Brownie duo: http://blondieandbrownie.blogspot.com/), Jenny of Foray into Food (http://forayintofood.blogspot.com/), and alternative baking help came from Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go (http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com/). Our challenge was to bake a caramel cake with caramelized butter frosting in which we had to make our own caramel. The recipe is the author's, Shuna Fish Lydon (http://eggbeater.typepad.com/), signature cake and it was published on Bay Area Bites (http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/).
I had don't have much experience with making caramel or any candy for that matter. I wasn't really sure what to look for when the caramel starting coming together so I tried to go by looks and test the mixture for stickiness as instructed in the recipe. When I thought the time was right I removed the sauce from the stove to let cool and it got a bit thick but not solid as it came to room temperature. So, when I went to make the cake the caramel was a bit goopy to handle but it still worked in nicely to the batter and the icing.
I really liked the texture and stability of the icing. The taste was a bit on the sweet side. It takes a lot for me to say something is too sweet and this mixture was definitely right up there. I toasted some coconut and pecans to sprinkle on top to help cut some of the sweetness. The icing called for browned butter also and I thought it added a nice depth to the taste of the icing as well.
Overall, I think my cake turend out well. I was really pleased with my pictures this month. Trying to get my creative juices flowing for the photo shoots. I'm happy to have done this challenge and to not be so scared of trying new things. We also got a recipe for homemade caramel candies that I may try closer to Christmas and I'm thinking of attempting fudge also.
Thanks to the host this month and I look forward to the next challenge.
3 comments:
Your cupcakes look delicious. Bravo!
Lovely job with your cupcakes. Wonderful that you were able to practice some new techniques.
Beautiful cupcakes. Love the presentations.
Post a Comment