Sunday, June 29, 2008

First Challenge Complete










Yay! I'm a daring baker! For those who don't know Daring Baker's are a group of individuals who challenge themselves to a different recipe each month and then post about it on the same day. This month was laminated dough hosted by Kelly of Sass & Veracity, and Ben of What’s Cooking?.






I had an easy enough time making the dough. Although, I thought I'd use the same orange for the zest and the juice and discovered why naval oranges aren't used for juicing. I did't use the cardamom as that was a bit pricey but I have since found some at a decent price at and Indian grocer that I didn't know existed before. So, I will be trying it soon.




So, I made half the braid one day earlier in the month then froze the rest of the dough and made the rest last week. It was interesting and a bit difficult not to get to talk about it before now. I made the apple filling that we were given and then on the later braid and danish I made a cream cheese filling and a peach amaretto filling. I have to say that I was quite proud of myself with my peach filling. I made up the recipe on my own but with the influence of a jam I had tried. Well, I was proud of myself all the way around really for meeting this challenge and being mostly successful at it. I did have issues with the dough rising. I'm not sure what it is with me and yeast breads or could it be the Florida humidity? I don't know, but it tasted good anyway.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your fist challenge!

CookiePie said...

Welcome to the Daring Bakers - beautiful job! Your braid and pastries look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 1st Challenge! Lovely job!!

Anonymous said...

yay for your first challenge, you did an excellent job!

Harmony said...

Way to go on you first challenge. I looks great.

emacgrass said...

congrats! it looks so yum! i also loved the little baby danishes you made too! so creative!

Jaime said...

congrats on your first challenge and welcome to the DB! your braid looks great; if it didn't rise much either your yeast was old or the temp wasn't warm enough - i like to use my oven as a proof box to ensure the temp is warm enough!

Shelby said...

Great job on your first challenge! Your braid and danishes look delicious!

Jen Yu said...

w00t! girlfriend! You did such a nice job on your very first DB challenege! Welcome to the Daring Bakers and here is to many many more successes!

Gina said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone I feel really welcomed to this "adventure".

Jaime - thanks for the suggestions and I will follow your tips if/when I make the danish again. I'm thinking maybe in the fall...

Unknown said...

GREAT job on your first challenge! Glad you joined in.

Lunch Buckets said...

Great work on your first challenge! Welcome to the group :)